[rules-users] RightTupleList NPE with 6.1.0.Final

[rules-users] RightTupleList NPE with 6.1.0.Final

tari-manga
Ciao,
I'm using 6.1.0.Final - btw, thank you for this release!

I have an issue as sometimes I'm getting an NPE from the RightTupleList, as documented in the snippet of stacktrace below. Unfortunately, I'm not able to provide as I did in the past a reproducer, because this error occurs only occasionally after the application has been running for quite some time - this error does not happen with the rule unit tests suite.

Therefore I would like to ask you the following questions, please.

1. would the stacktrace below be enough for you to possibly identify the kind of error which is happening in this case?
2. shall I go ahead and raise a JIRA just with this information? I've checked on JIRA but couldn't find any "similar" issue for this case

Finally, if the answers are both "no", does it mean that the only way I could provide an helpful feedback, is to log all the session incoming facts indefinitely, so to later "craft" an log-replay reproducer; or would you suggest another way I can do this more efficiently?

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback
Ciao

        at org.drools.core.util.index.RightTupleList.matches(RightTupleList.java:264) [drools-core-6.1.0.Final.jar:6.1.0.Final]
        at org.drools.core.util.index.RightTupleIndexHashTable.get(RightTupleIndexHashTable.java:433) [drools-core-6.1.0.Final.jar:6.1.0.Final]
        at org.drools.core.util.index.RightTupleIndexHashTable.getFirst(RightTupleIndexHashTable.java:114) [drools-core-6.1.0.Final.jar:6.1.0.Final]
        at org.drools.core.reteoo.BetaNode.getFirstRightTuple(BetaNode.java:430) [drools-core-6.1.0.Final.jar:6.1.0.Final]
        at org.drools.core.phreak.PhreakJoinNode.doLeftInserts(PhreakJoinNode.java:94) [drools-core-6.1.0.Final.jar:6.1.0.Final]
        at org.drools.core.phreak.PhreakJoinNode.doNode(PhreakJoinNode.java:60) [drools-core-6.1.0.Final.jar:6.1.0.Final]
        at org.drools.core.phreak.RuleNetworkEvaluator.switchOnDoBetaNode(RuleNetworkEvaluator.java:548) [drools-core-6.1.0.Final.jar:6.1.0.Final]
        at org.drools.core.phreak.RuleNetworkEvaluator.evalBetaNode(RuleNetworkEvaluator.java:534) [drools-core-6.1.0.Final.jar:6.1.0.Final]
        at org.drools.core.phreak.RuleNetworkEvaluator.innerEval(RuleNetworkEvaluator.java:334) [drools-core-6.1.0.Final.jar:6.1.0.Final]
        at org.drools.core.phreak.RuleNetworkEvaluator.outerEval(RuleNetworkEvaluator.java:161) [drools-core-6.1.0.Final.jar:6.1.0.Final]
        at org.drools.core.phreak.RuleNetworkEvaluator.evaluateNetwork(RuleNetworkEvaluator.java:116) [drools-core-6.1.0.Final.jar:6.1.0.Final]
        at org.drools.core.phreak.RuleExecutor.evaluateNetwork(RuleExecutor.java:77) [drools-core-6.1.0.Final.jar:6.1.0.Final]
        at org.drools.core.common.DefaultAgenda.evaluateEagerList(DefaultAgenda.java:990) [drools-core-6.1.0.Final.jar:6.1.0.Final]
        at org.drools.core.common.DefaultAgenda.fireNextItem(DefaultAgenda.java:945) [drools-core-6.1.0.Final.jar:6.1.0.Final]
        at org.drools.core.common.DefaultAgenda.fireAllRules(DefaultAgenda.java:1234) [drools-core-6.1.0.Final.jar:6.1.0.Final]
        at org.drools.core.impl.StatefulKnowledgeSessionImpl.fireAllRules(StatefulKnowledgeSessionImpl.java:1239) [drools-core-6.1.0.Final.jar:6.1.0.Final]
        at org.drools.core.impl.StatefulKnowledgeSessionImpl.fireAllRules(StatefulKnowledgeSessionImpl.java:1212) [drools-core-6.1.0.Final.jar:6.1.0.Final]
        at (...).ChronologicalEngine.insertPolicyAdvanceInsertFire(ChronologicalEngine.java:381) [classes:]
        at (...).ChronologicalEngine.inject(ChronologicalEngine.java:284) [classes:]

Re: [rules-users] RightTupleList NPE with 6.1.0.Final

Mario Fusco
Hi Matteo,

it's honestly virtually impossible to figure out what's causing that NPE just looking at that stack trace. Do you think you could be able to develop a reproducer or at least provide us a bit more information?

Thanks,
Mario

Re: [rules-users] RightTupleList NPE with 6.1.0.Final

tari-manga
Hi Mario, thank for your response and I can totally understand.

My next question is, please: is it possible to submit a JIRA on jboss.org and keep it confidential ?
Or at least keep confidential the reproducer?

The problem I'm facing, assuming I eventually develop the reproducer, that I seriously doubt my friends would agree in sharing this rulebase on a public domain - on other occasions it was okay to share the rulebase, while on other occasions the rulebase was limited so I "translated" the rulebase to another domain.

My ultimate goal here would be to reach a compromise where I can deliver you guys of the drools team a precise reproducer, while at the same time keep my friends happy that the rulebase is not actually shared on public domain and kept confidential only for the scope of reproducing the bug.

So my friends questions will likely be:
1. is there a process to raise a jira on jboss.org with confidential content ?
2. which terms and conditions, or NDA, do apply in that case?

I've done research on drools documentation, and on jboss and RH website, but couldn't find an answer applying for this case. In other words, I wonder if RH sub. model is the only means to share confidential content, or it is possible also for the opensource version, in order to achieve the compromise I pictured above.

Thanks
Ciao
ps: sorry for the rather lengthy email but I wanted to provide a picture of the context :)
Matteo

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 7:40 PM, Mario Fusco <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Matteo,

it's honestly virtually impossible to figure out what's causing that NPE
just looking at that stack trace. Do you think you could be able to develop
a reproducer or at least provide us a bit more information?

Thanks,
Mario

Re: [rules-users] RightTupleList NPE with 6.1.0.Final

Mark Proctor

On 6 Aug 2014, at 10:31, Matteo Mortari <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Mario, thank for your response and I can totally understand.

My next question is, please: is it possible to submit a JIRA on jboss.org and keep it confidential ?
Or at least keep confidential the reproducer?
Not on JIRA, but you can open a jira and then provide a dropbox link to Mario, Myself or Edson.