[rules-users] Drools Applications Google Group

[rules-users] Drools Applications Google Group

Mark Proctor
A while back there was a discussion on the volume of posts and the range of post discussions. OptaPlanner already has it’s own google group, which has helped reduce the volume. There is still the discussion on whether to split Drools.

My initial idea is to leave this list for installation, setup, configuration, deployment and getting started (hello world won’t run) - this tends to be a fairly shallow knowledge area, that new people will need to deal with. Then also create a separate google group for those wanting help on writing rule applications, that’s authoring (drl, score cards, decision tables etc) and running (insert, fireAllRules etc); this would become a deep knowledge area. In the google group you would not ask how to install the workbench, or how to deploy your app, or how to setup HA etc.

Thoughts?

We are about to do 6.1 final. For this we are revamping the websites, and sorting out our communications (lists etc) at the same time.

Mark

Re: [rules-users] Drools Applications Google Group

Borris

On 22/07/2014 14:27, Mark Proctor wrote:

> A while back there was a discussion on the volume of posts and the range of post discussions. OptaPlanner already has it’s own google group, which has helped reduce the volume. There is still the discussion on whether to split Drools.
>
> My initial idea is to leave this list for installation, setup, configuration, deployment and getting started (hello world won’t run) - this tends to be a fairly shallow knowledge area, that new people will need to deal with. Then also create a separate google group for those wanting help on writing rule applications, that’s authoring (drl, score cards, decision tables etc) and running (insert, fireAllRules etc); this would become a deep knowledge area. In the google group you would not ask how to install the workbench, or how to deploy your app, or how to setup HA etc.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> We are about to do 6.1 final. For this we are revamping the websites, and sorting out our communications (lists etc) at the same time.
>
> Mark

A few thoughts for you:

Partitioning the discussions as you suggest sounds sensible - minimising
"off-topic" posts is always desirable.

It should be *easy* for a user who lands on one of the groups (say via a
Google search) to realise there is a better (more appropriate) group for
them to post their question on - so maybe some form of standardised
footer that compactly identifies the purposes of the different groups?

Over time, I think you could also use the application writing group to
bootstrap some form of "How do I ..." FAQ or tips and techniques
listing. This could supplement the documentation, but be organised by
developer task rather than language feature/area.

Borris

Re: [rules-users] Drools Applications Google Group

Mark Proctor
I’m currently setting a google group, won’t touch nabble. It allows welcome messages, sticky nodes, and if necessary moderation.

Mark