Integrate jBPM with OptaPlanner

jjn

Integrate jBPM with OptaPlanner

jjn
Hi, how can I integrate jBPM with OptaPlanner. I have solved a problem using OptaPlanner, where there are a number of requests which are optimally assigned to particular employees, based on certain constraints. Now I want to create a dispatcher in jBPM, where certain employees(actors) can solve certain requests(process instances). Any idea how I can go about this problem ?

Re: [rules-users] Integrate jBPM with OptaPlanner

ge0ffrey
Administrator
So the JBPM human task assignments are a task assignment problem you want to solve with OptaPlanner? Kris and I spoke about building some out-of-the-box integration/docs for this. But for now you 'll have to do the integration yourself. OptaPlanner is being successfully used for other task assignment problems already.

Duplicates
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23372089/integrate-jbpm-with-optaplanner

jjn

Re: [rules-users] Integrate jBPM with OptaPlanner

jjn
Hi Geoffrey

I was thinking something like this
1. Create a data model for a request in jBPM, where there will be a fields - id, complexity
2. Create a process model in jBPM for incoming requests being processed by specific actors
3. Somehow call optaplanner (??)

Now lets say there are 10 requests
Optaplanner can be used to assign requests to employees (based on the capability of the employee and the complexity of the request), for eg. request id 1, request id 3 are done by employee 2.

Now in jBPM, I want request 1 and request 3 to be processed by employee 2(actor)

Maybe use a decision table -
When there is request 1 and request 3, then  assign employee 2 to do a particular task

On 01-05-14 16:36, jjn wrote:

> Hi Geoffrey
>
> I was thinking something like this
> 1. Create a data model for a request in jBPM, where there will be a fields -
> id, complexity
> 2. Create a process model in jBPM for incoming requests being processed by
> specific actors
> 3. Somehow call optaplanner (??)
>
> Now lets say there are 10 requests
> Optaplanner can be used to assign requests to employees (based on the
> capability of the employee and the complexity of the request), for eg.
> request id 1, request id 3 are done by employee 2.
Sounds like the CloudBalancing example: instead of processes you have
requests, instead of machines you have employees.
The capacity of the employee should be at least the sum of the demand of
the requests.

You might also want to add a soft constraints for fairness/load
balancing (see docs section "fairness constraints").

> Now in jBPM, I want request 1 and request 3 to be processed by employee
> 2(actor)
I'd use "immovable planning entities" for that. See this blog:
http://www.optaplanner.org/blog/2013/10/11/WillSkynetControlOurSchedule.html
Basically, you're locking some requests to some employees
and ask OptaPlanner to schedule the rest around that.

> Maybe use a decision table -
> When there is request 1 and request 3, then  assign employee 2 to do a
> particular task
For decision tables, see my latest 2 video's and the dinner party
example in 6.1.0.Beta3.
Decision tables already work in 6.0.1.Final already too (but there's no
example there).