Building our own UI for Drools

kapokfly
This post was updated on .
Due to some reasons (for example, build a consistent UI within our own application, easier to work with our own meta data, don't want SSO etc), we are considering to build our own UI to generate Drools rule file basing on the user input via the UI , has anyone tried this before? Is there any library shipped within Drools Gunvor can be used to be easier to work with Drools rule syntax?

It looks to me the direct translation from the user input to Drools syntax is not very straightforward and less flexible than handwriting, also we need save the rule user defined on the UI in our own format and translate it to a file Drools can be supported, is this something suggested or in practice we should avoid this?

Generally speaking, we are trying to build our own UI a business user without engineering background can define with a Graphic interface (e.g, only simple selection, no coding, no handwriting rules), and we also want to leverage Drools' powerful rule engine.

Thanks,
Ivan
Ivan, your Panda, forever

Re: [rules-users] Building our own UI for Drools

manstis
Guvnor

The REST API has been most beneficial for others in your situation.

The user-guide shows how you can retrieve an asset and store it back again.

Drools Expert

There is a "fluent API" with which you can programmatically construct rules.

Furthermore, depending on the degree to which your rules may differ, use of Rule Templates may be an option.

I know other people are following a similar path to yourself and they should be able to talk to you about real-life experiences.

With kind regards,

Mike

-----
Ivan, your Panda, forever

Re: [rules-users] Building our own UI for Drools

kapokfly
Thanks Mike, I will take a look of the Drools Expert fluent API.

We can't benefit from the Gunvor's rest API as there are some key issues we are trying to resolve with our own UI:

1) unified user interface.
2) work with our meta data and current engineering model seamlessly, especially we want their patch lifecycle same as the rules.
3) we have our own in application version control and would like the rule object follows the same
4) we don't want to host another dedicate application outside our core application, especially we are using jboss 4.x which I also did not find a supported Gunvor war file.
5) The guvnor's approach works with single company but does not work with a SAAS environment where end user is able to customize each object and writing rules against their own properties.
6) It is easier for us to write adapter model within our application rather than expose meta data into gunvor which is hosted separately.
7)...

Ivan
Ivan, your Panda, forever

Re: [rules-users] Building our own UI for Drools

Jervis Liu
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: [rules-users] Building our own UI for Drools

kapokfly
Thanks for the information.

Deploy multiple GUNVOR instances can't resolve our issue as we have thousands of companies as our customer, each company will share the common part of our applications and meantime they can customize objects/fields they have permission with, this will be terrible if we go with the separate/dedicate deployment and basically we think that will be not manageable...

What we are looking for is, be able to share a common collection of ruleset and at the same time, be able to define their custom rules with their customization.

Ivan
Ivan, your Panda, forever

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: [rules-users] Building our own UI for Drools

GPatel
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: [rules-users] Building our own UI for Drools

kapokfly
Hi GPatel,

Maybe separate by package is something can be tried, but do you see the functionality of what Gunvor provided is good enough for your usage?

For us it is still missing some necessary functions:
given a condition, 'a = b',
1) we would like the 'b' part could be an expression/reference to another field, not only a value
2) we would like to be able to redefine the dot notation so it can refer to not only a property but also its meta data information so the meta data value can also be used as part of the rule
3) for existing none object graph traverse we also would like to register our own property resolver so it can load related objects into the proper context

Also are you able to tweak the UI to comply with your own application's style?
And does your object also share a common rulesets across different customers? How you design this part in your POC so any potential upgrade could be easier?

Ivan
Ivan, your Panda, forever

Re: [rules-users] Building our own UI for Drools

GPatel
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Building our own UI for Drools

benq2188
Hello Ivan, wondering that have you found any solution for your requirements?

I want to design UI which suggests options to the user for adding,modifying and deleting rules. Within drools final 5.4.0 version, writing rules in xml format is depreciated, so I thought to save user input data as rules inside a .drl file with our own translation from UI. Seems it will take time, we need to consider creating rules either first degree or  n-degree(several conditions and actions for each rule). As you said it wont be straightforward.

Any solutions to deal with it?

Thanks in advance.

kapokfly wrote