Anyone want to help on our new Rule Algorithm?

Anyone want to help on our new Rule Algorithm?

Mark Proctor
If anyone is interested in helping out on our next generation rule algorithm, we’ll offer personal mentoring to get you started on your way. Just ping my email directly, to discuss:
http://blog.athico.com/2013/11/rip-rete-time-to-get-phreaky.html

Mark

Re: Anyone want to help on our new Rule Algorithm?

Mark Proctor
A first good topic, now that we build and propagate tuple sets, is can we parallelism our joins?

Look at the insert loop, on line 94. So it iterates and builds a resulting tuple set, which is eventually propagated. Can that set be built in parallel?
https://github.com/droolsjbpm/drools/blob/master/drools-core/src/main/java/org/drools/core/phreak/PhreakJoinNode.java

The key aspect is the iterator right memory. While that memory may or may not be indexed, it always returns a list. In the case of indexing, the list will sublist for that overall memory.

Ideally those lists will be adaptive, only turning on parallel iteration when appropriate (enough joins), while trying to avoid any additional cost when parallel iteration is not used. Note currently all lists, are liked lists - we do not use arrays.

Once that works, the other methods, right insert, update and delete can all be parallelized.

Mark

On 12 May 2014, at 00:00, Mark Proctor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If anyone is interested in helping out on our next generation rule algorithm, we’ll offer personal mentoring to get you started on your way. Just ping my email directly, to discuss:
> http://blog.athico.com/2013/11/rip-rete-time-to-get-phreaky.html
>
> Mark

Re: Anyone want to help on our new Rule Algorithm?

evidence01
Very interested in migrating Drools to a true multi-core engine! Having looked at commercial alternatives for CEP such as SAP, etc. I believe if Drools was able to fully leverage multiprocessors we could have a substantial story on our hands. This not to mention that I have application needs today for mulit-core which we are planning to circumvent by running multiple engines - with no engine tie of coarse (bad but manageable if rules are segmented).

-Jacek

Re: Anyone want to help on our new Rule Algorithm?

Mark Proctor
we’ll provide real time mentoring on irc and g+, to anyone who actively gets involved. We’ll talk through code, explain what things do, provide direction etc.

Mark
On 22 Jul 2014, at 21:39, evidence01 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very interested in migrating Drools to a true multi-core engine! Having
> looked at commercial alternatives for CEP such as SAP, etc. I believe if
> Drools was able to fully leverage multiprocessors we could have a
> substantial story on our hands. This not to mention that I have application
> needs today for mulit-core which we are planning to circumvent by running
> multiple engines - with no engine tie of coarse (bad but manageable if rules
> are segmented).
>
> -Jacek

Re: Anyone want to help on our new Rule Algorithm?

nmsundar

Hi Mark,

I am interested on that, Do I need to know any additional information before starting this.

Thanks,
Regards

Sundar.M

we’ll provide real time mentoring on irc and g+, to anyone who actively gets involved. We’ll talk through code, explain what things do, provide direction etc.

Mark
On 22 Jul 2014, at 21:39, evidence01 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very interested in migrating Drools to a true multi-core engine! Having
> looked at commercial alternatives for CEP such as SAP, etc. I believe if
> Drools was able to fully leverage multiprocessors we could have a
> substantial story on our hands. This not to mention that I have application
> needs today for mulit-core which we are planning to circumvent by running
> multiple engines - with no engine tie of coarse (bad but manageable if rules
> are segmented).
>
> -Jacek

Re: Anyone want to help on our new Rule Algorithm?

Mark Proctor
Read this three articles:

Checkout the code from github:

Ask Qs on irc, look for mfusco, conan, etirelli or sotty.
http://drools.jboss.org/irc

Mark